What is personal protective equipment?
PPE or personal protective equipment is any equipment that can help minimize danger or exposure to hazards that can cause either illness or injury. PPE is extremely important for those working with and operating machinery and/or power tools.
All personal protective equipment falls under one of four categories: respiratory, auditory, visual, or physical. Respiratory PPE includes things like masks or respirators, auditory PPE can include earplugs or earmuffs, visual PPE includes glasses or face shields, and physical PPE can include gloves or helmets.
Why do I need PPE?
- Keeps you safe: PPE is necessary to wear because it keeps you safe from any hazards you may encounter.
- Creates a safe environment: It also keeps the environment around you safe. For example, if you were using sharp machinery without safety glasses and something got into your eye, then you would be operating machinery without being able to see those around you.
- Creates longevity: PPE also reduces long-term wear and tear on your body, so you can continue to work for a longer time without injury.
Essential personal protective equipment you need when using power equipment
- Safety glasses or goggles: Safety glasses are important to protect your eyes from debris. Even when doing something small like wire-cutting or mowing your lawn, debris can float into the air and enter your eyes.
- Cut-resistant gloves: Not only can these gloves help you stay safe in case you come in contact with a blade, but they can also help you prevent skin punctures when handling sharp objects or wood.
- Safety boots: Boots can protect your feet in case of a misplaced blade, chemical spill, or a dropped tool. Most work boots will also act as an electrical insulator or provide traction for you when working with strong power tools.
- Hard hat: A hard hat is essential when working in any environment where objects might fall or drop. Also, when working with power tools that go above your head, like a chainsaw. If walking in an area with low clearance objects or electrical wires, a hard hat can protect your head against impact.
- Earplugs or earmuffs: Ear protection is necessary when working in a loud environment. This could mean mowing your lawn or using everyday power tools.
- Masks or respirators: These are great for wood workers. They will protect you from airborne debris when sawing, drilling, sanding, etc., and they will protect you from chemicals and fumes when painting, staining, or adding other wood treatments. Also, masks are essential for anyone handling any other object that creates harmful debris, like fiberglass, asbestos, dust, etc.
Before starting any job, double-check you have the right PPE. PPE will not only ensure you can finish the job safely, but it will also ensure the people and property around you remain safe.
Stop by today and visit our store conveniently located in Punta Gorda off Interstate 75. We have all the PPE that you or your employees will need. In our store you will also find all types of construction equipment and tools to help you get your projects done on time and with less chance for injury.